Axis Capital Group, a human resource company which provides ground training to employers, employees and entrepreneurs in Africa has listed the most common colleagues that you will encounter in the workplace.
1. The Gossip
- Every office has at least one of this. In some cases, he (mostly she) is called the “Mother Hen” as he know almost everything there is to know about lives of the other employees, the nature of the job and sometimes, even the background of the boss. He is usually the one to spend the most fun coffee time with the most.
- How to Deal with Him: remember, gossip does not always mean that it is pure truth, even from someone who has been in the company most of his life. It may have an ounce of lies and exaggerations in them so do not get sucked into stories that the Gossip people say. Learn how to politely refuse or if the topic is interesting, learn to weigh which one is true within it. Know the warning signs of exaggerated stories and limit your opinions as well. It can be taken against you. Remember, people who talk easily about other people behind their back are likely to do the same with you.
2. The Comedian
- All work and no play is no fun at all. It is good to have these kinds of people around especially if your job is too serious. Humor can help ease the atmosphere in the workplace and can make it more comfortable to work with. Remember that too much seriousness can also cause death.
- How to deal With Him: Enjoy his jokes but gently remind him that you also have work to do. Sometimes, the funniest people are the ones who have the most burdensome stories. Have lunch with him every now and then to lift your spirit and also to get to know him more.
3. The Chatterbox
- These kinds of people are the ones who keep on talking and talking in the office and treat the workplace as a social gathering event. For those who are task-oriented, these people are mostly annoying as they all cannot concentrate on their work.
- How to Deal with Him: Have patience and be polite with them. Ask them if instead of chatting during office hours, you can have your chat during lunch time instead.
4. The Multi-Tasker
- This kind of colleague has more than one plate spinning. He can chat while keeping track of data, answering emails and balancing his sheet. A research in Jakarta, Indonesia shows that this skill is mostly possessed by female employees. Psychologists have reviewed that girls have the higher tendency to work on multiple tasks at once as their neurons tend to transfer faster from one part of the brain to the other than guys.
- How to Deal With Him: Learn his way and it can positively help you in doing your job.